Glenesk (SILENT)

Current Owners UDV
Location Highland
Water source River North Esk
Status Closed

1897 Distillery established by James Isles (Dundee wine merchant) on site of former flax mill and named ‘Highland Esk Distillery’
1899 Taken over by J.F Caille who renamed it North Esk Distillery
WWI Closed during WWI
1938 Taken over by Associated Scottish Distilleries and changed to produce grain whisky as ‘Montrose Distillery’
1954 Sold to Distiller Company Ltd (DCL)
1964 Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd. (SMD) acquired and reverted to producing Malt Whisky under the name of ‘Hillside’
1968 Installation of a large drum maltings
1980 Name changed back to Glenesk
1985 Mothballed
1992 License cancelled